New Jersey Natural Gas
NEW JERSEY NATURAL GAS AND INTERFAITH NEIGHBORS CELEBRATE 20-YEAR AFFORDABLE HOUSING PARTNERSHIP WITH COMPLETION OF NEW HOME IN ASBURY PARK05/04/2016 - For Immediate Release
Asbury Park, N.J. – New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) and Interfaith Neighbors, Inc. today celebrated 20 years of helping deserving families realize the dream of home ownership with the completion of a new, energy-efficient home located at 13 DeWitt Avenue in Asbury Park’s west side neighborhood.
“The home we dedicate today is a milestone for the family and for us,” said Laurence M. Downes, chairman and CEO of New Jersey Natural Gas. “It represents the 100th affordable home completed under our Home Ownership Program. More importantly, it’s the first home for a deserving family who will help this community continue to thrive and grow.”
“This occasion is a true testament to the compassion and commitment of Joe Marmora and the entire team at Interfaith Neighbors,” Downes continued. “We are proud to celebrate our 20-year partnership, working together to make a meaningful difference in the communities we serve.”
NJNG’s Home Ownership Program began in 1996, with a $25,000 donation to Interfaith Neighbors for a home restoration project in Asbury Park. Over the next two decades, this unique partnership has produced 41 affordable homes in Monmouth County. During that time, NJNG expanded the program, and now partners with Homes for All in Ocean County and Morris Habitat for Humanity in Morris County. A total of 100 affordable housing units, including the home at 13 DeWitt Avenue, have been made possible under NJNG’s Home Ownership Program.
The project at 13 DeWitt Avenue completes a seven-year effort as part of the Strategic Target Area Rebuilding Spirit (STARS) Redevelopment Plan of Asbury Park’s west side neighborhood. The STARS effort began in 2009 to improve housing conditions and create more affordable home ownership opportunities. With funding provided through the New Jersey Housing and Urban Development Neighborhood Stabilization Program, and in collaboration with the Affordable Housing Alliance, Coastal Habitat for Humanity, NJNG and other community businesses, Interfaith Neighbors developed 28 units of new, affordable housing. These units consist of 20 for-sale homes and eight rental units in the Springwood Center building, providing affordable housing opportunities for west side residents.
Nine previously vacant lots on DeWitt Avenue were transformed into single-family, for-sale homes through the STARS Redevelopment Plan. And to help the new homebuyers conserve energy and manage their energy costs, each home is furnished with energy-efficient appliances and lighting.
“Through partnerships such as this, we are able to provide residents the chance to purchase beautiful, new and highly affordable homes, while helping to rebuild and strengthen local neighborhoods in the process,” said Joseph Marmora, executive director of Interfaith Neighbors.
About New Jersey Resources
New Jersey Resources (NYSE: NJR) is a Fortune 1000 company that through its subsidiaries provides safe and reliable natural gas and clean energy services, including transportation, distribution, asset management and home services. With annual revenues in excess of $3 billion, NJR is comprised of five primary businesses:
- New Jersey Natural Gas is NJR’s principal subsidiary that operates and maintains over 7,000 miles of natural gas transportation and distribution infrastructure to serve over half a million customers in New Jersey’s Monmouth, Ocean and parts of Morris, Middlesex, Sussex and Burlington counties.
- NJR Energy Services manages a diversified portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets and provides physical natural gas services to its customers across North America.
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures invests in, owns and operates solar and onshore wind projects with a total capacity of more than 200 megawatts, providing residential and commercial customers with low-carbon solutions.
- NJR Midstream serves customers from local distributors and producers to electric generators and wholesale marketers through its 50 percent equity ownership in the Steckman Ridge natural gas storage facility and its stake in Dominion Midstream Partners, L.P., as well as its 20 percent equity interest in the PennEast Pipeline Project.
- NJR Home Services provides heating, central air conditioning, standby generators, solar and other indoor and outdoor comfort products to residential homes and businesses throughout New Jersey.
NJR and its more than 1,000 employees are committed to helping customers save energy and money by promoting conservation and encouraging efficiency through Conserve to Preserve® and initiatives such as The SAVEGREEN Project® and The Sunlight Advantage®.
Follow us on Twitter @NJNaturalGas.
“Like” us on facebook.com/NewJerseyNaturalGas.
Download our free NJR investor relations app for iPad, iPhone and Android.
About Interfaith Neighbors, Inc.
Founded in 1988, Interfaith Neighbors is a nonprofit organization that assists residents of Monmouth County to increase their self-sufficiency and meet basic needs. The organization operates eight distinct programs including rental and mortgage assistance, senior nutrition, affordable housing, the NJ Youth Corps Program of Monmouth County, neighborhood revitalization, business development, and workforce development through the Kula Café and the Kula Urban Farm. Ninety-five cents of every dollar contributed to Interfaith Neighbors goes directly to support one of these activities.
For more information about Interfaith Neighbors:
Michael Kinney, Media