New Jersey Natural Gas
NEW JERSEY NATURAL GAS SHARES TIPS TO HELP CUSTOMERS MANAGE ENERGY BILLS AND STAY WARM THIS WINTER12/11/2015 - For Immediate Release
Wall, N.J. – Colder temperatures mean increased energy consumption as heating systems kick in, and New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) wants customers to know tools and resources are available to help keep their homes warm and comfortable this winter.
Find out if you qualify for Energy Assistance Programs. If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, help is available for varying household incomes and financial situations. For more information, visit the “Trouble Paying Your Bills?” quicklink at njng.com. You can also request a Deferred Payment Arrangement at My Account at njng.com.
Enroll in NJNG’s free Budget Plan. Balance the seasonal highs and lows of your natural gas bills by spreading the estimated annual costs evenly over 12 monthly payments. To enroll in the Budget Plan, visit njng.com and register at My Account or pay the budget amount shown on your NJNG bill.
Manage your energy usage with NJNG’s free online energy assessment tool. Sign on to the Conserve to Preserve Dashboard and get a customized action plan that provides useful cost-effective advice to help make your home more energy-efficient and comfortable. Also learn about rebates and incentives available from NJNG’s The SAVEGREEN Project® and New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program™ (NJCEP) to help make energy-efficiency upgrades more affordable.
To maximize your home’s comfort, consider these energy-efficiency tips.
- Make sure your furnace and water heater are properly ventilated and clear of obstructions.
- Have a heating and cooling professional perform an annual inspection and routine system maintenance to ensure your furnace is operating at peak performance. (NJNG does not perform this service).
- Lower your hot water temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and insulate hot water pipes to conserve energy.
- Check your furnace filter every month. Replace furnace filters when they look dirty, or at a minimum of every three months. A dirty filter restricts airflow, demanding more energy and slowing down the heating process.
- See if you qualify for a free home energy audit through NJNG’s SAVEGREEN Project or the NJCEP Comfort Partners program. Reach out to us at 877-455-NJNG (6564) to see what income levels qualify.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Adjust the times you turn on your heating equipment according to a pre-set schedule to avoid wasting heat while you're asleep or away from home. When at home, turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees during daytime hours. For every degree you lower your heat over an eight hour period, you’ll save one percent on heating costs.
- Seal up seams and cracks around walls, windows, doors and fixtures to reduce drafts and consider installing additional insulation and seal air leaks in your attic.
- Replace your old and inefficient heating and cooling system with ENERGY STAR®-qualified equipment and you may cut your annual energy bill by as much as $200. Remember some replacement may qualify for our rebates and special financing.
For more energy-saving-tips, along with information on tools and resources to help you manage your energy bills, go to the Save Energy & Money section of njng.com and click on Conserve to Preserve. While there, join the more than 100,000 customers who receive NJNG’s free monthly E-Tips for timely updates on available program offers and rebates.
About New Jersey Resources
New Jersey Resources (NYSE: NJR) is a Fortune 1000 company that provides safe and reliable natural gas and clean energy services, including transportation, distribution and asset management. With annual revenues in excess of $3 billion, NJR is comprised of five primary businesses:
- New Jersey Natural Gas is NJR’s principal subsidiary that operates and maintains over 7,000 miles of natural gas transportation and distribution infrastructure to serve over half a million customers in New Jersey’s Monmouth, Ocean and parts of Morris, Middlesex and Burlington counties.
- NJR Energy Services manages a diversified portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets and provides physical natural gas services to its customers across North America.
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures invests in, owns and operates solar and onshore wind projects with a total capacity of over 195 megawatts, providing residential and commercial customers with low-carbon solutions.
- NJR Midstream serves customers from local distributors and producers to electric generators and wholesale marketers through its equity ownership in a natural gas storage facility and its stake in Dominion Midstream Partners, L.P.
- NJR Home Services provides heating, central air conditioning, standby generators, solar and other indoor and outdoor comfort products to residential homes and businesses throughout New Jersey and serves approximately 117,000 service contract customers.
NJR and its nearly 1,000 employees are committed to helping customers save energy and money by promoting conservation and encouraging efficiency through Conserve to Preserve® and initiatives such as The SAVEGREEN Project® and The Sunlight Advantage®.
For more information about NJR:
Follow us on Twitter @NJNaturalGas.
“Like” us on facebook.com/NewJerseyNaturalGas.
Download our free NJR investor relations app for iPad, iPhone and Android.
Michael Kinney, Media