New Jersey Natural Gas
NEW JERSEY NATURAL GAS SHARES TIPS TO HELP CUSTOMERS MANAGE ENERGY BILLS AND STAY COMFORTABLE THIS WINTER12/19/2014 - For Immediate Release
Wall, NJ – Colder temperatures mean increased energy consumption as heating systems kick in to keep you warm and comfortable. And every degree your heating system is adjusted affects its daily energy use and, in turn, your energy bill. But it’s not too late to take action to manage your energy costs. New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) shares energy-saving tips along with information on available tools and resources to help customers manage energy costs this heating season.
Enroll in NJNG’s Free Budget Plan now. Balance the seasonal highs and lows of your natural gas bills by spreading the estimated annual costs evenly over 12 monthly payments. To enroll in the Budget Plan, visit njng.com and register at My Account or pay the budget amount shown on your NJNG bill.
Understand your energy usage with NJNG’s free online tool. Sign on to the Conserve to Preserve Dashboard, NJNG’s online energy assessment tool, and get a customized action plan that provides useful cost-effective advice to help make your home more energy-efficient and comfortable. Also learn about how much energy-efficiency upgrades may save you and which ones provide more value for the money. Plus you can get information about rebates and incentives available from NJNG’s The SAVEGREEN Project® and New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program™ to help make energy-efficiency upgrades more affordable.
Save energy and money with low- to no-cost energy-efficiency tips.
- Make sure your furnace and water heater are properly ventilated and clear of obstructions.
- Have a heating and cooling professional perform an annual inspection and routine system maintenance to ensure your furnace is operating at peak performance. (NJNG does not perform this service).
- Lower your hot water temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and insulate hot water pipes to conserve energy.
- Replace furnace filters a minimum of every three months. A dirty filter restricts airflow, demanding more energy and slowing down the heating process.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Adjust the times you turn on the heat according to a pre-set schedule and your equipment will not operate as much while you're asleep or away from home. And turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees during daytime hours when home. For every degree you lower your heat over an eight hour period, you’ll save one percent on heating costs.
- Seal up seams and cracks around walls, windows, doors and fixtures to reduce drafts and consider installing additional insulation and seal air leaks in your attic. As much as 30 percent of energy is lost through floors, walls and ceilings.
- Replace your old and inefficient heating and cooling system with ENERGY STAR®-qualified equipment and you may cut your annual energy bill by as much as $200.
Take advantage of energy assistance programs, if needed. There are programs available for varying household incomes and financial situations. Please visit the “Trouble Paying Your Bills?” quicklink at njng.com. You can also request a Deferred Payment Arrangement at My Account at njng.com.
For more information on energy saving-tips for your home along with other tools and resources to help you save energy and money, visit the Conserve to Preserve® section of njng.com. Also, join the more than 95,000 customers who receive NJNG’s free monthly E-Tips for timely updates on available program offers and rebates.
About New Jersey Resources
New Jersey Resources (NYSE: NJR) is a Fortune 1000 company that provides safe and reliable natural gas and clean energy services, including transportation, distribution and asset management. With annual revenues in excess of $3 billion, NJR is comprised of five primary businesses:
- New Jersey Natural Gas is NJR’s principal subsidiary that operates and maintains over 7,000 miles of natural gas transportation and distribution infrastructure to serve over half a million customers in New Jersey’s Monmouth, Ocean and parts of Morris and Middlesex counties.
- NJR Energy Services manages a diversified portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets and provides physical natural gas services and customized energy solutions to its customers across North America.
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures invests in, owns and operates solar and onshore wind projects with a total capacity in excess of 93 megawatts, providing residential and commercial customers with low-carbon solutions.
- NJR Midstream serves customers from local distributors and producers to electric generators and wholesale marketers through its equity ownership in a natural gas storage facility and a transportation pipeline, both of which are Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or FERC-regulated investments.
- NJR Home Services provides heating, central air conditioning, standby generators, solar and other indoor and outdoor comfort products to residential homes and businesses throughout New Jersey and serves approximately 118,000 service contract customers.
NJR and its more than 900 employees are committed to helping customers save energy and money by promoting conservation and encouraging efficiency through Conserve to Preserve® and initiatives such as The SAVEGREEN Project® and The Sunlight Advantage®.
For more information about NJR:
Follow us on Twitter @NJNaturalGas.
“Like” us on facebook.com/NewJerseyNaturalGas.
Download our free NJR investor relations app for iPad and iPhone.
Renée Amellio, Media Contact